We love making play dough in our house. It’s a great bonding exercise and lots of fun. We usually end up covered in flour and the kids love getting their hands messy.
Aromatherapy play dough is cost effective and super easy to make. You will have most ingredients in your pantry already. It’s natural, safe, a way to work on fine-motor skills and a great way for children to learn about essential oils.
Prep time: 5 min
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups water
- food colouring
- 1 cup salt
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 5-10 drops of essential oils
- Dissolve salt in a mixing bowl with 1 cup of boiling water
- Add 1 cup of cool water & food colouring
- Mix in flour, cream of tartar, and vegetable oil
- Add 5-10 drops of your favourite doTERRA essential oil.
- The mixture will start off sticky, you may need to add some more flour slowly to get the right consistency. Once a dough is formed, take the mixture out of the bowl and start to kneed.
- When your play dough is feeling soft and smooth you are ready to play. Store in an air tight container to avoid the play dough drying out.
Note – Some of our favourite play dough essential oils we use are Lavender for relaxation, Balance for calming and Wild Orange to uplift.