Have you heard of chemicals called ammonia? Triclosan? Chlorine? Perchloroethylene? Sodium hydroxide? Phthalates? You may not have heard of all of them, but I can guarantee that you have and use one or more of these toxic chemicals in your home. These ingredients are sadly found in many of the cleaning and hygiene products we use daily. They are in our dishwashing detergents, hand soaps, oven cleaners, toilet cleaners, shampoos, deodorants, lotions and sunscreens. They are even in products we have been misled into thinking are a “safer option” for us. Unfortunately, in Australia, there is a loophole in the packaging laws and brands can use words on their packaging and advertising like “green” and “organic” rather than the official “Certified Organic” label. They use these terms without having to back them up.
Now think, how many times a day you use one of these products. We are constantly inhaling and absorbing these toxic chemicals into our bodies repeatedly. These chemicals can negatively affect our health in many ways. There is an increasing awareness of the connection between the use of household cleaning products and asthma, respiratory issues and skin irritation. For instance, “ammonia Exposure can cause immediate burning of the nose, throat and respiratory tract. Long term, this can cause bronchiolar and alveolar oedema, and airway destruction resulting in respiratory distress or failure”. More alarmingly, “ammonia’s odour provides adequate early warning of its presence, but ammonia also causes olfactory fatigue or adaptation, reducing awareness of one’s prolonged exposure at low concentrations”. In simple terms, this means the longer we use and inhale ammonia, the less we are able to detect its odour. We become used to breathing this chemical in! New York State Department of Health “facts about ammonia” factsheet.
So, what did I do about it? Well I started to actually read what was in all of my household cleaning products. Let’s just say by the time I was finished, my garbage bin was full of sprays, deodorants, toothpastes and cleaning chemicals. Then I had the job of finding suitable and safe replacements. After doing some more research I realised I could make my own products which would not only be toxin free and safer for my family, it would be better for the environment and more cost effective. Best of all I would know exactly what was going into them.
Most ingredients can be found in our pantry or easily purchased from your local supermarket. Your “must have” basics are;
I had already been using doTERRA essential oils in my home to help support my family’s health, sleep and well-being. Creating my own cleaning products was just me taking the use of these amazing oils to the next level. So away I went creating a whole new cleaning system for my home, using DIY recipes. I made it fun and got my kids involved too, we pretended we were doing crazy science experiments. It was easier than I first thought and not time consuming at all.
So far, the benefits have exceeded my expectations. The funny thing is we don’t even realise the side effects that most of these toxins have on our bodies. This is because we have been using them daily for most of our lives. I can tell you now though, having taken these toxins out of my life and away from my body, that on the odd occasion I come in contact with these chemicals, I notice the effects they have on me straight away.
Now in a perfect world we would all have the time to make our own products, but I know that it’s not always possible. For the products I don’t have time to make, doTERRA have a great On Guard homecare line, which consists of laundry liquids, cleaner concentrates, soaps and toothpastes. doTERRA’s personal hygiene and beauty products are amazing too. They are all toxin free and smell amazing thanks to the added essential oils.
All I ask is next time you go to clean your shower or wipe down your dirty bench top, stop and think; what am I breathing in and absorbing into my body? What affect could this have on both myself and my family’s health? Look closely at what you have purchased and do your homework. Google some of the chemicals on the labels, or some that I mentioned at the top of this blog and see the many side effects that they have on our bodies.
Make the switch and chose “No Nasty”, toxic free products that are safer for us all.